opengl particle simulation in guile

16 February 2013 7:20 PM (guile | scheme | opengl | gl | ffi)

Hello, internets! Did you know that today marks two years of Guile 2? Word!

Guile 2 was a major upgrade to Guile's performance and expressiveness as a language, and I can say as a user that it is so nice to be able to rely on such a capable foundation for hacking the hack.

To celebrate, we organized a little birthday hack-feast -- a communal potluck of programs that Guilers brought together to share with each other. Like last year, we'll collect them all and publish a summary article on Planet GNU later on this week. This is an article about the hack that I worked on.

figl

Figl is a Guile binding to OpenGL and related libraries, written using Guile's dynamic FFI.

Figl is a collaboration between myself and Guile super-hacker Daniel Hartwig. It's pretty complete, with a generated binding for all of OpenGL 2.1 based on the specification files. It doesn't have a good web site yet -- it might change name, and probably we'll move to savannah -- but it does have great documentation in texinfo format, built with the source.

But that's not my potluck program. My program is a little demo particle simulation built on Figl.

Source available here. It's a fairly modern implementation using vertex buffer objects, doing client-side geometry updates.

To run, assuming you have some version of Guile 2.0 installed:

git clone git://gitorious.org/guile-figl/guile-figl.git
cd guile-figl
autoreconf -vif
./configure
make
# 5000 particles
./env guile examples/particle-system/vbo.scm 5000

You'll need OpenGL development packages installed -- for the.so links, not the header files.

performance

If you look closely on the video, you'll see that the program itself is rendering at 60 fps, using 260% CPU. (The CPU utilization drops as soon as the video starts, because of the screen capture program.) This is because the updates to the particle positions and to the vertices are done using as many processors as you have -- 4, in my case (2 real and 2 threads each). I've gotten it up to 310% or so, which is pretty good utilization considering that the draw itself is single-threaded and there are other things that need to use the CPU like the X server and the compositor.

Each particle has a position and a velocity, and is attracted to the center using a gravity-like force. If you consider that updating a particle's position should probably take about 100 cycles (for a square root, some divisions, and a few other floating point operations), then my 2.4GHz processors should allow for a particle simulation with 1.6 million particles, updated at 60fps. In that context, getting to 5K particles at 60 fps is not so impressive -- it's sub-optimal by a factor of 320.

This slowness is oddly exciting to me. It's been a while since I've felt Guile to be slow, and this is a great test case. The two major things to work on next in Guile are its newer register-based virtual machine, which should speed things up by a factor of 2 or so in this benchmark; and an ahead-of-time native compiler, which should add another factor of 5 perhaps. Optimizations to an ahead-of-time native compiler could add another factor of 2, and a JIT would probably make up the rest of the difference.

One thing I was really wondering about when making this experiment was how the garbage collector would affect the feeling of the animation. Back when I worked with the excellent folks at Oblong, I realized that graphics could be held to a much higher standard of smoothness than I was used to. Guile allocates floating-point numbers on the heap and uses the Boehm-Demers-Weiser conservative collector, and I was a bit skeptical that things could be smooth because of the pause times.

I was pleasantly surprised that the result was very smooth, without noticeable GC hiccups. However, GC is noticeable on an overloaded system. Since the simulation advances time by 1/60th of a second at each frame, regardless of the actual frame rate, differing frame processing times under load can show a sort of "sticky-zipper" phenomenon.

If I ever got to optimal update performance, I'd probably need to use a better graphics card than my Intel i965 embedded controller. And of course vertex shaders are really the way to go if I cared about the effect and not the compiler -- but I'm more interested in compilers than graphics, so I'm OK with the state of things.

Finally I would note that it has been pure pleasure to program with general, high-level macros, knowing that the optimizer would transform the code into really efficient low-level code. Of course I had to check the optimizations, with the ,optimize, command at the REPL. I even had to add a couple of transformations to the optimizer at one point, but I was able to do that without restarting the program, which was quite excellent.

So that's my happy birthday dish for the Guile 2 potluck. More on other programs after the hack-feast is over; until then, see you in #guile!

1. YurB says:

I'm very excited to see opengl in guile! Maybe some day I'll try to learn opengl and guile together. Thanks for the work you did. But please, encode your videos into Ogg Theora or Webm, because I can't play your video in Firefox. Thanks again and good luck!

2. YurB says:

Oh, I'm sorry, a webm source is available in the html. But the browser still gives me an error: "No video with supported formand and MIME type found".

3. YurB says:

Very strange, the webm file is playing fine in vlc, but Firefox fails to play it (both locally and from your server). Chromium plays it without problems.

4. philn says:

The .webm file was generated by a buggy gnome-shell, the duration is set to 1 second or so :) I think this bug is fixed in a recent release.

5. philn says:

Never mind that comment, ignore me!

6. wingo says:

I'm not sure what the deal is with the webm video and Firefox. The video was transcoded from a gnome-shell webm screen capture using a simple vp8enc ! matroskamux GStreamer pipeline.

I transcoded to Ogg as well, but it's strangely jerky. Probably something wrong with the original timestamps. But here's an Ogg link: figl-particle-effect-small.ogv.

7. paines says:

Nice. Even under VMWare where GL is emulated in software I am getting around ~33fps in a small window(~70 frames drawn), and around ~22fps with 1920x1080(~45 frames drawn) on an i7, 2 cores for VBox, ~140% cpu.

8. Larry says:

figl/contrib/packed-struct.scm:180:8: In procedure lp:
    figl/contrib/packed-struct.scm:180:8: In procedure +: Wrong type argument in position 1: Segmentation fault (core dumped)

9. Merton says:

I just tried to install a software and my computer stuck. I hope it will work well, anyway I need to get to the dissertation writing service and find my paper to submit it tomorrow. Thanks for the guide.
    Merton

10. 192.168.0.1 admin says:

IP address 192.168.0.1 is the management ip address of some wireless router it is the default ip address for all kinds of TP-link,D-Link and Netgear models.

11. Prayer Times says:

I am so happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that's at the other blogs.

13. alexsam says:

I essentially endeavored to present an item and my PC stuck. I believe it will work commendably, regardless I need to get to the Explainer Video Companies and find my paper to submit it tomorrow. An obligation of appreciation is all together for the good.

14. Suzi smith says:

What you have said is absolutely right. iPhone 7 Price

15. Maria says:

What a greatly written article. www.gmail.com

16. Susan Fernando says:

I nothing know Guile 2. This word is new for me. Thanks for this article. It contains the information a lot.
    I will hope you keep going another/.Bane Coat Instylejackets.

18. Edwards says:

meraih medali emas dari perlombaan tingkat provinsi, nasional, dan internasional. Selain itu, ada juga 8 sekolah negeri dan ironsteelcenter.com ironsteelcenter.comHarga besi beton Sni Ulir Polos Harga besi beton Sni Ulir PolosHarga besi hollow Harga besi hollowHarga besi cnp Harga besi cnpHarga besi unp Harga besi unpHarga wiremesh Harga wiremeshHarga besi wf Harga besi wfHarga besi h beam Harga besi h beamHarga Plat besi Harga Plat besiHarga pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80 Harga pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80Harga besi siku Harga besi sikuHarga Plat kapal besi baja bki krakatau steel Harga Plat kapal besi baja bki krakatau steelHarga bondek Harga bondekHarga baja ringan Harga baja ringanHarga Atap spandek Harga atap spandekHarga stainless steel Harga stainless steeljasa konstruksi jasa konstruksi besi baja jasa konstruksi gudang jasa konstruksi gedung jasa konstruksi undangan pernikahan undangan pernikahan simpleundangan pernikahan online udangan pernikahan pinkundangan pernikahan unik undangan pernikahan onlineundangan pernikahan murah undangan pernikahan islamiundangan pernikahan islami undangan pernikahan murahundangan pernikahan elegan undangan pernikahan artisundangan pernikahan unik dan murah contoh undangan pernikahan
    www.gudangbesibaja.com www.gudangbesibaja.comHarga besi cnp Harga besi cnpHarga besi h beam baja Harga besi h beam bajaHarga Plat besi plat kapal Harga Plat besi plat kapalHarga besi siku Harga besi sikuHarga besi unp Harga besi unpHarga besi wf baja Harga besi wf bajaHarga besi beton Sni Ulir Polos Harga besi beton Sni Ulir PolosHarga besi hollow Harga besi hollowHarga pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80 Harga pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80Harga wiremesh Harga wiremeshHarga bondek Harga bondekHarga besi Wf Baja Harga besi Wf Bajajasa konstruksi baja wf jasa konstruksi jembatan jasa konstruksi bangunan jasa konstruksi undangan pernikahan elegan dan murah undangan pernikahan eleganundangan pernikahan simple undangan pernikahan elegan dan murahundangan pernikahan artis undangan pernikahan putihudangan pernikahan pink undangan pernikahan unik dan murahundangan pernikahan putih undangan pernikahan unikContoh undangan pernikahan undangan pernikahan

harga besi beton sni toko besi baja harga besi bahan bangunanharga pipa stainless steel pipa galvanis medium a besi bjkujual baja wf tabel baja krakatau steel harga besi ulir 16 mmharga stainless steel harga baja profil per kg harga besi 12 sniharga besi ulir harga besi wire mesh harga besi 8 mmdaftar harga pipa galvanis harga besi hollow stainless harga besi beton 10harga besi wf 200 harga baja hollow harga besi 13 ulirbesi kanal c galvanis steel rangka besi betondaftar harga besi beton harga pipa hollow harga besi kgjual wiremesh besi beam sni besi betonsupplier besi profil baja iwf harga besi behel 8mmbesi baja pipa galvanized harga besi beton 10mm snikonstruksi baja wf jual expanded metal harga besi ulir 10daftar harga besi hollow besi wire mesh harga sikuharga wiremesh profil baja h beam harga besi siku 4x4Supplier besi harga beam 200 besi siku hargaharga besi baja harga besi cnp 100 harga pipa besi hitamharga pipa baja jual besi cnp pipa seamlessbesi beton murah harga besi unp 100 daftar harga pipa stainless steelharga kanal c besi kanal c harga harga pipaharga besi stainless harga besi cnp 125 pipa stainlessharga besi per kg besi u galvanisharga plat stainless steel besi c pipa besi galvanisbesi unp harga besi cnp 150 harga besi hollow untuk pagarjual besi wf kanal c pipa besi hitamharga baja h beam daftar harga besi kanal c harga besi hollow 40x40

19. Rangoon Box office says:

Nice post this artical is very useful

20. Rangoon Box office says:

21. sslc results 2017 karnataka says:
  22. james clark says:

Valentine's Day, also called Saint Valentine's Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine, valentines day is an annual holiday celebrated on February 14. valentines day messages It originated as a Western Christian liturgical feast day honoring one or more early saints named Valentinus, and is recognized as a significant cultural and commercial celebration in many regions around the world, happy valentines day quotes although it is not a public holiday in any country. Valentine's Day is celebrated on February 14 Valentine's Day is also a very popular date for weddings..It is a festival of romantic love and many people give cards, letters, flowers or presents to their spouse or partner. They may also arrange a romantic meal in a restaurant or night in a hotel. Common symbols of Valentine's Day are hearts, red roses and Cupid.The most common happy valentines day images Valentine's Day symbols are the heart, particularly in reds and pinks, and pictures or models of Cupid. Cupid is usually portrayed as a small winged figure with a bow and arrow.Many people celebrate their love for their partner by sending cards or letters, giving gifts or flowers and arranging meals in restaurants or romantic nights in hotels. People who would like to have a romantic relationship with somebody may use the occasion to make this known, often anonymously. Valentine's cards are often decorated with images of hearts, red roses or Cupid. Common Valentine's Day gifts are flowers chocolates, candy, lingerie and champagne or sparkling wine