scheme workshop 2014

27 November 2014 5:48 PM (scheme | guile | igalia | gnu | adaptive optimization | javascript)

I just got back from the US, and after sleeping for 14 hours straight I'm in a position to type about stuff again. So welcome back to the solipsism, France and internet! It is good to see you on a properly-sized monitor again.

I had the enormously pleasurable and flattering experience of being invited to keynote this year's Scheme Workshop last week in DC. Thanks to John Clements, Jason Hemann, and the rest of the committee for making it a lovely experience.

My talk was on what Scheme can learn from JavaScript, informed by my work in JS implementations over the past few years; you can download the slides as a PDF. I managed to record audio, so here goes nothing:

55 minutes, vorbis or mp3

It helps to follow along with the slides. Some day I'll augment my slide-rendering stuff to synchronize a sequence of SVGs with audio, but not today :)

The invitation to speak meant a lot to me, for complicated reasons. See, Scheme was born out of academic research labs, and to a large extent that's been its spiritual core for the last 40 years. My way to the temple was as a money-changer, though. While working as a teacher in northern Namibia in the early 2000s, fleeing my degree in nuclear engineering, trying to figure out some future life for myself, for some reason I was recording all of my expenses in Gnucash. Like, all of them, petty cash and all. 50 cents for a fat-cake, that kind of thing.

I got to thinking "you know, I bet I don't spend any money on Tuesdays." See, there was nothing really to spend money on in the village besides fat cakes and boiled eggs, and I didn't go into town to buy things except on weekends or later in the week. So I thought that it would be neat to represent that as a chart. Gnucash didn't have such a chart but I knew that they were implemented in Guile, as part of this wave of Scheme consciousness that swept the GNU project in the nineties, and that I should in theory be able to write it myself.

Problem was, I also didn't have internet in the village, at least then, and I didn't know Scheme and I didn't really know Gnucash. I think what I ended up doing was just monkey-typing out something that looked like the rest of the code, getting terrible errors but hey, it eventually worked. I submitted the code, many years ago now, some of the worst code you'll read today, but they did end up incorporating it into Gnucash and to my knowledge that report is still there.

I got more into programming, but still through the back door, so to speak. I had done some free software work before going to Namibia, on GStreamer, and wanted to build a programmable modular synthesizer with it. I read about Supercollider, and decided I wanted to do something like that but with the "unit generators" defined in GStreamer and orchestrated with Scheme. If I knew then that Scheme could be fast, I probably would have started on an entirely different course of things, but that did at least result in gainful employment doing unrelated GStreamer things, if not a synthesizer.

Scheme became my dominant language for writing programs. It was fun, and the need to re-implement a bunch of things wasn't a barrier at all -- rather a fun challenge. After a while, though, speed was becoming a problem. It became apparent that the only way to speed up Guile would be to replace its AST interpreter with a compiler. Thing is, I didn't know how to write one! Fortunately there was previous work by Keisuke Nishida, jetsam from the nineties wave of Scheme consciousness. I read and read that code, mechanically monkey-typed it into compilation, and slowly reworked it into Guile itself. In the end, around 2009, Guile was faster and I found myself its co-maintainer to boot.

Scheme has been a back door for me for work, too. I randomly met Kwindla Hultman-Kramer in Namibia, and we found Scheme to be a common interest. Some four or five years later I ended up working for him with the great folks at Oblong. As my interest in compilers grew, and it grew as I learned more about Scheme, I wanted something closer there, and that's what I've been doing in Igalia for the last few years. My first contact there was a former Common Lisp person, and since then many contacts I've had in the JS implementation world have been former Schemers.

So it was a delight when the invitation came to speak (keynote, no less!) the Scheme Workshop, behind the altar instead of in the foyer.

I think it's clear by now that Scheme as a language and a community isn't moving as fast now as it was in 2000 or even 2005. That's good because it reflects a certain maturity, and makes the lore of the tribe easier to digest, but bad in that people tend to ossify and focus on past achievements rather than future possibility. Ehud Lamm quoted Nietzche earlier today on Twitter:

By searching out origins, one becomes a crab. The historian looks backward; eventually he also believes backward.

So it is with Scheme and Schemers, to an extent. I hope my talk at the conference inspires some young Schemer to make an adaptively optimized Scheme, or to solve the self-hosted adaptive optimization problem. Anyway, as users I think we should end the era of contorting our code to please compilers. Of course some discretion in this area is always necessary but there's little excuse for actively bad code.

Happy hacking with Scheme, and au revoir!

1. tomás zerolo says:

Thanks, Andy for doing all that cool stuff I'd like to do -- and thanks for writing about it!

2. marty alain says:

Hi Andy Wingo,
    I was in Washington for your keynote in the Scheme'14 workshop. This is what I wrote during this workshop : http://epsilonwiki.free.fr/epsilonwiki/index.php?view=wash_20141119. Well, as you can see, it was not very nice from me to write such a things, but it was my feelings. OK, probably because my paper had been rejected. Reading your post in this page today helps me to better understand your work and your investment in nice things. Bravo again. I don't think anymore that you are a "tête à claque"...

Alain Marty

3. NBCUniversal Case Solution says:

This is pleasant article. I might want to a debt of gratitude is in order for your endeavors and recommendations. I truly acknowledge to this article.

4. Python Assignment Help says:

This article is great. I like when the post is instructive and well-talked. Much thanks to you for this.

5. Scalp Psoriasis says:

He received great pleasure from this article. The guys did a good job. I want to continue to read the news of this resource!

6. showbox says:

Showbox is an application which is used to watch videos streaming online and can also be used to download movies and TV shows in High Definition and it’s all for free.

7. vidmate says:

Vidmate Apk app video downloader for android mobile. ... In order to download and use this app on your windows PC, you need to first download Bluestacks.

9. dipika mishra says:

The middle of winter has long been a time of celebration around the world. Centuries before the arrival of the man called Jesus, early Europeans celebrated light and birth in the darkest days of winter. Many peoples rejoiced during the winter solstice, when the worst of the winter was behind them and they could look forward to longer days and extended hours of sunlight.

In Scandinavia, the Norse celebrated Yule from December 21, the winter solstice, through January. In recognition of the return of the sun, fathers and sons would bring home large logs, which they would set on fire. The people would feast until the log burned out, which could take as many as 12 days. The Norse believed that each spark from the fire represented a new pig or calf that would be born during the coming year.

The end of December was a perfect time for celebrationFeliz Navidad 2016 Navidad 2016Feliz año nuevo 2017

Frohe weihnachten 2016Frohe weihnachten Status für FacebookCanciones de Navidad 2016 Villancicos de Feliz Navidad 2016 en inglesCanciones de Feliz Navidad 2016
      Frohes Neues Jahr2017 Frohe weihnachten 2016 weihnachtsgrüße 2016 Frohe weihnachten
      Frohe Weihnachten und Neues Jahr 2017 Neues Jahr 2017frohe Weihnachten 2016

Frohe Weihnachtsgrüße 2016 Weihnachtsgrüße 2016Frohe Weihnachtsgrüße

Sprüche zu Weihnachten 2016Frohe Weihnachten Sprüche, Wünsche, GedichteGedichte zu weihnachten 2016Weihnachten 2016 Wünsche

analyze big data big data search data mining with big databig data database architecturehadoop big data database sql books hadoop big data analyticsdefine big databig data computing concept of big dataanalytics data database sql technology it big data big data examples big data miningsources of big datadata analytics companybig data volumemassive data big data storeopen source big data analytics analytics tools of big databig data structurebusiness data analytics applications for big databest big data databasemanaging big databig data analysis methods what's big data big data 3vexplain big data big data intelligence big data overviewanalytics on big datamassive data analysis big data featuresdatabase of big datause of big data big data productsbig data application developmentbig data and data mininghadoop analytics toolslarge data analytics big data data sourcesbig data researchbig data analytics startupadvanced data analyticsdata management big dataanalytics for big data features of big datadatabase sql books big data analytics methodology
     database sql books database sql pdfdatabase sqldatabase sql and nosqlwhat is data analyticsbig data in securitybig data articleshadoop articleshadoop software downloadhadoop trainingsdatabase sql tutorialsdata analytics booksbig data training in gaziabadbig data training in usbig data courses in goahadoop and big dataapplications of rhow to download big data pdfhow to learn big data and get jobbig data jobs and salary packagessalary packages of big data professionalbig data professionalsbig data professionals jobs
     spanish happinesshow to become spanish translatorspanish newbiespanish loveI love you more in spanish
     love and care in spanisbheat in spanishspanish loversspanish worldhow to speak and write spanishspanish language learn spanish very easily
     download the R tutorials for beginnersdownload SAS tutorials freelearn R and sasBig data engineer salary all over india
     I love you more than anyone in spanishhow to say bad in spanishhow to say you are good in spanishwhat are benfits of spanishspanish songs download sadlearn spanish from the websitespanish learning offline

In Rome, where winters were not as harsh as those in the far north, Saturnalia—a holiday in honor of Saturn, the god of agriculture—was celebrated. Beginning in the week leading up to the winter solstice and continuing for a full month, Saturnalia was a hedonistic time, when food and drink were plentiful and the normal Roman social order was turned upside down. For a month, slaves would become masters. Peasants were in command of the city. Business and schools were closed so that everyone could join in the fun.

10. ap inter results says:

The Board of Secondary Education of Andhra Pradesh is more prominently known as directorate of Government Examination.

best printable 2017 Calendarbest printable 2017 Calendarbest printable 2017 Calendarbest printable 2017 Calendarbest printable Calendar 2017best printable Calendar 2007best printable Calendar 2017best printable Calendar 2017best printable Calendar 2007best printable Calendar 2017best printable Calendar 2017best printable Calendar 2017Us River map 2017Us River map 2017Us River map 2017Us River map 2017Us River map 2017Us River map 2017Us River map 2017Us River map 2007USA River map 2007USA River map 2007USA River map 2007USA River map 2007USA River map 2007USA River map 2007Map of united statesMap of united statesMap of united states

12. up election results says:

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. andaman nicobar election results andhra pradesh election results arunachal pradesh election results assam election results bihar election results goa election results lenny face manipur election results punjab election results teclado emoji uttar pradesh election results uttarakhand election resultsandaman nicobar election results andhra pradesh election results arunachal pradesh election results assam election results bihar election results goa election results lenny face manipur election results punjab election results teclado emoji uttar pradesh election results uttarakhand election resultsandaman nicobar election results andhra pradesh election results arunachal pradesh election results assam election results bihar election results goa election results lenny face manipur election results punjab election results teclado emoji uttar pradesh election results uttarakhand election resultsandaman nicobar election results andhra pradesh election results arunachal pradesh election results assam election results bihar election results goa election results lenny face manipur election results punjab election results teclado emoji uttar pradesh election results uttarakhand election resultsandaman nicobar election results andhra pradesh election results arunachal pradesh election results assam election results bihar election results goa election results lenny face manipur election results punjab election results teclado emoji uttar pradesh election results uttarakhand election resultsandaman nicobar election results andhra pradesh election results arunachal pradesh election results assam election results bihar election results goa election results lenny face manipur election results punjab election results teclado emoji uttar pradesh election results uttarakhand election resultsandaman nicobar election results andhra pradesh election results arunachal pradesh election results assam election results bihar election results goa election results lenny face manipur election results punjab election results teclado emoji uttar pradesh election results uttarakhand election resultsandaman nicobar election results andhra pradesh election results arunachal pradesh election results assam election results bihar election results goa election results lenny face manipur election results punjab election results teclado emoji uttar pradesh election results uttarakhand election resultsandaman nicobar election results andhra pradesh election results arunachal pradesh election results assam election results bihar election results goa election results lenny face manipur election results punjab election results teclado emoji uttar pradesh election results uttarakhand election resultsandaman nicobar election results andhra pradesh election results arunachal pradesh election results assam election results bihar election results goa election results lenny face manipur election results punjab election results teclado emoji uttar pradesh election results uttarakhand election results