optionals, keywords, oh my!

8 November 2009 12:33 PM (guile | scheme | optional | keyword)

OK! Where were we?

In my last dispatch, I talked about case-lambda in guile. The gist of it is, let procedures parse their own arguments, and they can do neat stuff like multiple-arity dispatch.

Also, neat stuff like optional and keyword arguments! Consider our my-write example from last time:

(define my-write
  (case-lambda
    ((obj port) (write obj port))
    ((obj)      (my-write obj (current-output-port)))))

It's a little silly, to write it this way. It's not essentially one procedure with two different bodies, it's one procedure with one required argument, and one optional argument. The optional argument defaults to (current-output-port).

So, as you would imagine, there is a better way to express this "design pattern": lambda*, and its sugary friend, define*.

In this case, we would simply define my-write like so:

(define* (my-write obj #:optional (port (current-output-port)))
  (write obj port))

So nice, so clear. Default values are only evaluated if the argument is missing. (It's a rare Python programmer that's not surprised about Python's behavior in this regard; but I digress.)

keyword args too

Optional arguments are good at allowing for concision and extensibility, but code that uses them can be confusing to read. Actually this is a problem with positionally-bound arguments in general.

I like how Carl Worth puts it: that nice prototypes can result in inscrutable code. His solution in C is to have function names encode their arities, but we can do better in Scheme, with keyword arguments.

So let's say we want to add a "detailed" argument to my-write. We can add a keyword argument:

(define* (my-write obj
                   #:optional (port (current-output-port))
                   #:key (detailed? #f))
  (if detailed?
      (format port "Object ~s of type ~s" obj (class-of obj))
      (write obj port)))

Invocations are really nice to read:

(my-write 'foo #:detailed? #t)
=| Object foo of type #<<class> <symbol> 8c4fca8>

(my-write 'foo (open-output-file "foo.log") #:detailed? #t)
; writes the same thing to foo.log

The second example gives an explicit port; and indeed, I am left wondering what it is, when I read it. Keyword arguments make for more readable code.

Keyword arguments also allow for better extensibility. But don't take it from me, take it from P. Griddy:

Most of the operators in Rtml were designed to take keyword parameters, and what a help that turned out to be. If I wanted to add another dimension to the behavior of one of the operators, I could just add a new keyword parameter, and everyone’s existing templates would continue to work. A few of the Rtml operators didn’t take keyword parameters, because I didn’t think I’d ever need to change them, and almost every one I ended up kicking myself about later. If I could go back and start over from scratch, one of the things I’d change would be that I’d make every Rtml operator take keyword parameters.

-- Paul Graham, from a talk he gave back when he didn't talk about startups so durn much

And, there's one more thing, which applies both to optional and keyword arguments: the default values are evaluated in the lexical context of their preceding arguments. So you can have a later argument referring to an earlier one. For example, Guile's compile is defined like this:

(define* (compile x #:key
                  (from (current-language))
                  (to 'value)
                  (env (default-environment from))
                  (opts '()))
  ;; wizardly things here
  ...)

See how env's default value references from? Awesome, yes? I thought so.

newness

So what's new about all this? Not much, semantically. Guile has supported lambda* and define* for more than 10 years. But now they are available in the default environment, and they are fast fast fast -- for the same reasons that case-lambda is faster now. There are special opcodes to process stack arguments into optionals, and to shuffle and bind keyword arguments, all without consing a single cell.

Also, now the toolchain knows about optional and keyword arguments, so that backtraces and printouts show them nicely. For example, my-write prints like this:

#<program my-write (obj #:optional port #:key detailed?)>

Ah, there is case-lambda*; though it is of dubious utility, given that it can only reasonably dispatch on the required and optional arity, and not on keyword args. But there it is.

In any case, I look forward to using lambda* more in the future, without speed trepidations. Just say no to rest arguments masquerading as optionals!

1. asd says:

Holy crap, and I thought Perl code was unreadable. You are setting new standards.

2. Sam TH says:

You should really look at this paper, in this year's Scheme workshop:
    Keyword and Optional Arguments in PLT Scheme
    Matthew Flatt and Eli Barzilay

3. Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) says:

asd, Comparing scheme to fraking Perl? That is outrageous and only represents your utter ignorance. Its a scientific fact that Scheme is the simplest language to learn for a person with no programming background. If you don't believe me, find 10 random people with no programming background and teach scheme to 5 of them and perl (or any language you know of) to the other half and you'll be surprised.

If you don't know a language, it will be very unreadable for sure unless it resembles other languages that you know already. :)

4. wingo says:

@asd: Ahaawe! Otashi lesha onawa nee.

@sam: Looks like a very interesting paper, thanks for the pointer :-)

5. Arne Babenhauserheide says:

@Khattak: May I say Python? Especially for non-programmers, first impression counts. And for Scheme it often is “what about all those parens???”

6. pay essay says:

I am only a beginner Python programmer and I cannot express how many times per day I'm surprised by Python's behavior. And it's not only about defining keywords and optionals but more about defining almost any function or procedure.

7. Kodi for iPhone says:

Great For 99c, need to you not have an online connection, obtaining a completely searchable map that might track where you are and also offer exact instructions concerning ways to reach your specified area is a god send. Fine.

9. best water softeners says:

good These conditioners are descalers. While they prevent the hard water minerals from transferring into surface areas, nice.

River map of United statesRiver map of United statesRiver map of United statesRiver map of United statesPrintable calendar 2017Printable calendar 2017Printable calendar 2017Printable calendar 2017Printable calendar 2017Printable calendar 2017Free Printable calendar 2017

Free Printable calendar 2017Free Printable calendar 2017Free Printable calendar 2017Free Printable calendar 2017Free Printable calendar 2017Free calendar TemplatesFree calendar Templates

Free calendar TemplatesFree calendar TemplatesFree calendar TemplatesFree calendar TemplatesFree calendar TemplatesFree calendar TemplatesFree 2017 calendar Templates

Free 2017 calendar TemplatesFree 2017 calendar TemplatesFree 2017 calendar TemplatesFree 2017 calendar TemplatesFree 2017 calendar Templates

printable calendars printable calendars printable calendars printable calendar printable black calendars printable black calendars printable black calendars printable indian calendars printable us calendars printable us calendars printable calendars us printable calendars indian printable calendars print us calendars

11. German Pinsoneault says:

mendidik para peserta didik dalam mencapai kecerdasan yang menyeluruh dan terpadu. Yaitu meliputi kecerdasan intelektual, moral, ironsteelcenter.com ironsteelcenter.comHarga besi beton Sni Ulir Polos Harga besi beton Sni Ulir PolosHarga besi hollow Harga besi hollowHarga besi cnp Harga besi cnpHarga besi unp Harga besi unpHarga wiremesh Harga wiremeshHarga besi wf Harga besi wfHarga besi h beam Harga besi h beamHarga Plat besi Harga Plat besiHarga pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80 Harga pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80Harga besi siku Harga besi sikuHarga Plat kapal besi baja bki krakatau steel Harga Plat kapal besi baja bki krakatau steelHarga bondek Harga bondekHarga baja ringan Harga baja ringanHarga Atap spandek Harga atap spandekHarga stainless steel Harga stainless steeljasa konstruksi jasa konstruksi besi baja jasa konstruksi gudang jasa konstruksi gedung jasa konstruksi undangan pernikahan undangan pernikahan simpleundangan pernikahan online udangan pernikahan pinkundangan pernikahan unik undangan pernikahan onlineundangan pernikahan murah undangan pernikahan islamiundangan pernikahan islami undangan pernikahan murahundangan pernikahan elegan undangan pernikahan artisundangan pernikahan unik dan murah contoh undangan pernikahan
    www.gudangbesibaja.com www.gudangbesibaja.comHarga besi cnp Harga besi cnpHarga besi h beam baja Harga besi h beam bajaHarga Plat besi plat kapal Harga Plat besi plat kapalHarga besi siku Harga besi sikuHarga besi unp Harga besi unpHarga besi wf baja Harga besi wf bajaHarga besi beton Sni Ulir Polos Harga besi beton Sni Ulir PolosHarga besi hollow Harga besi hollowHarga pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80 Harga pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80Harga wiremesh Harga wiremeshHarga bondek Harga bondekHarga besi Wf Baja Harga besi Wf Bajajasa konstruksi baja wf jasa konstruksi jembatan jasa konstruksi bangunan jasa konstruksi undangan pernikahan elegan dan murah undangan pernikahan eleganundangan pernikahan simple undangan pernikahan elegan dan murahundangan pernikahan artis undangan pernikahan putihudangan pernikahan pink undangan pernikahan unik dan murahundangan pernikahan putih undangan pernikahan unikContoh undangan pernikahan undangan pernikahan

harga besi beton sni toko besi baja harga besi bahan bangunanharga pipa stainless steel pipa galvanis medium a besi bjkujual baja wf tabel baja krakatau steel harga besi ulir 16 mmharga stainless steel harga baja profil per kg harga besi 12 sniharga besi ulir harga besi wire mesh harga besi 8 mmdaftar harga pipa galvanis harga besi hollow stainless harga besi beton 10harga besi wf 200 harga baja hollow harga besi 13 ulirbesi kanal c galvanis steel rangka besi betondaftar harga besi beton harga pipa hollow harga besi kgjual wiremesh besi beam sni besi betonsupplier besi profil baja iwf harga besi behel 8mmbesi baja pipa galvanized harga besi beton 10mm snikonstruksi baja wf jual expanded metal harga besi ulir 10daftar harga besi hollow besi wire mesh harga sikuharga wiremesh profil baja h beam harga besi siku 4x4Supplier besi harga beam 200 besi siku hargaharga besi baja harga besi cnp 100 harga pipa besi hitamharga pipa baja jual besi cnp pipa seamlessbesi beton murah harga besi unp 100 daftar harga pipa stainless steelharga kanal c besi kanal c harga harga pipaharga besi stainless harga besi cnp 125 pipa stainlessharga besi per kg besi u galvanisharga plat stainless steel besi c pipa besi galvanisbesi unp harga besi cnp 150 harga besi hollow untuk pagarjual besi wf kanal c pipa besi hitamharga baja h beam daftar harga besi kanal c harga besi hollow 40x40

12. ikodidownload says:

Great Fortunately is that there is a number of Songs Add-Ons available for Kodi users, and these are rather very easy to install. Fine.