introducing griddy

31 July 2008 2:11 PM (window manager | clutter | guile | hack)

5m50s, 2.5 MB, Theora

The linked video shows my hackbaby of the last couple months, a hackable 3D compositing window manager written in Scheme. It's not much code, but it's rather fun. I'm still not dogfooding with it yet -- you can see a pause around minute 4:30 or so where I have to unstick keys that Xephyr thinks are pressed.

And it's still a bit hard to compile, because you need bzr guile-gnome, and the latest guile-clutter release, and a guile 1.8 compiled as --with-threads if you want the emacs integration. But if you want to join in on the fun, or read some interesting code, check:

bzr branch http://wingolog.org/bzr/griddy

1. Martin says:

Kind of like ratpoison?

2. wingo says:

@martin: More like StumpWM, ratpoison's successor, but with compositing.

3. Martin says:

Cool, didn't know about that one. Easy access to search and execution a'la Gnome Launch Box would probably integrate well with a wm like this.

4. wingo says:

Yeah, you're totally right. One of my goals with this is to make it really easy to add such behaviours, in users' branches, or in their .griddy files (not yet implemented).

For example the concept of organizing applications in a grid is something that is built off of the primitives -- you can replace that if you want, if you find something better. I want to make it easy for people (read: me :) to hack up the things that I want, without imposing them on others, but making them available -- and to have taste in the defaults.

At some point I think I want to implement tiled windows like that family of wm's (ion, awesome, stumpwm, ratpoison, etc) does. But while I'm hacking it up, I should be able to do so without restarting the window manager. That kind of workflow pleases me immensely.

5. wingo says:

(basically i want emacs)

6. Jason says:

That's pretty nifty. I'm currently a Gnome and Stumpwm user, which is kind of a strange combination. It'll be interesting to see what a lisp-based tiling window manager by a Gnome developer ends up looking like.

7. Zeeshan Ali says:

Your coolness level has exceeded far beyond what is allowed under the law.

8. Chris Parker says:

Please keep working on this - this is exactly what I have been looking for!

I will send you money, buy you beer, do whatever. A real lispy window manager with a REAL repl would be amazing, and this looks amazing!

Now if Gimp would goto a single-window mode for the rare times I have to use it!

9. Zajcev Evgeny says:

Hello, nice thing! But have you seen xwem window manager? it is fully integrated into (S)XEmacs (i.e. written in emacs lisp). It is possible to create full-featured (S)XEmacsen desktop environment using xwem. Currently it does not run under GNU Emacs, due to some (S)XEmacsen features used in xwem implementation, however xlib already ported to GNU Emacs and seems to work. If you are also, along griddy, interested in hacking xwem for GNU Emacs please e-mail me and cc to RMS.

Thanks, i'm looking forward for griddy updates.

10. Jonas says:

Off topic: What app did you use to record the video?

11. wingo says:

@Jonas: Istanbul, from Zaheer Merali. I did the demo in a Xephyr, so I told it to capture output just from the xephyr window. It was just pointing and clicking, something I found to be quite pleasant.

I tried to record sound but failed; in retrospect I think the failure was due to my mixer settings.

12. Fox Mulder says:

This window manager is exactly what I want from my X server on cool Gentoo system. I wait some betas and believe that this project don't die :)
    Good Luck!

13. Marat says:

Many people loves watch video at YouTube ;)

15. ewr says:

River map of United statesRiver map of United statesRiver map of United statesRiver map of United statesPrintable calendar 2017Printable calendar 2017Printable calendar 2017Printable calendar 2017Printable calendar 2017Printable calendar 2017Free Printable calendar 2017

Free Printable calendar 2017Free Printable calendar 2017Free Printable calendar 2017Free Printable calendar 2017Free Printable calendar 2017Free calendar TemplatesFree calendar Templates

Free calendar TemplatesFree calendar TemplatesFree calendar TemplatesFree calendar TemplatesFree calendar TemplatesFree calendar TemplatesFree 2017 calendar Templates

Free 2017 calendar TemplatesFree 2017 calendar TemplatesFree 2017 calendar TemplatesFree 2017 calendar TemplatesFree 2017 calendar Templates

printable calendars printable calendars printable calendars printable calendar printable black calendars printable black calendars printable black calendars printable indian calendars printable us calendars printable us calendars printable calendars us printable calendars indian printable calendars print us calendars

This is an excellent post i seen.I have to thanks to you to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post.

17. james clark says:

Valentine's Day, also called Saint Valentine's Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine, happy valentines day is an annual holiday celebrated on February 14.happy valentines day messages It originated as a Western Christian liturgical feast day honoring one or more early saints named Valentinus, and is recognized as a significant cultural and commercial celebration in many regions around the world, although it is not a public holidayhappy valentines day sayings in any country. Valentine's Day is celebrated on February 14 Valentine's Day is also a very popular date for weddings..It is a festival of romantic love and many people give cards, letters, flowers or presents to their spouse or partner. They may also arrange a romantic meal in a restaurant or night in a hotel. Common symbols of Valentine's Day are hearts, red roses and Cupid.The most common Valentine's Day symbols are the heart, particularly in reds and pinks, and pictures or models of Cupid. Cupid is usually portrayed as a small winged figure withhappy valentines day pictures a bow and arrow.Many people celebrate their love for their partner by sending cards or letters, giving gifts or flowers and arranging meals in restaurants or romantic nights in hotels. People who would like to have a romantic relationship with somebody may use the occasion to make this known, often anonymously. Valentine's cards are often decorated with images of hearts, red roses or Cupid. Common Valentine's Day gifts are flowers chocolates, candy, lingerie and champagne or sparkling wine